Friday, December 21, 2012

Network Connection Failed

As I have posted previously, I started using Game Maker which has built in multiplayer functions.

Correction, it DID have multiplayer functions before coming out with the Studio version, which they declared them to be obsolete.  Multiplayer functionality may not come out in Game Maker:Studio until late next year!

I was very... frustrated... to find this out last night as I looked for the correct functions to start adding networking to my game.  I wanted to start adding networking as early as possible to avoid having to re-code sections of the game I create.  I'm going to have to set networking aside for now and just focus on solo-play at the moment, which is fine; there is plenty to develop.

My list of things to do:
  • Title and Main Menu - Basic functionality almost complete
  • Game Setup Screen and Multiplayer connection - On hold until Game Maker supports this.
  • Player Actions (punching) - Complete
  • Multiplayer Chat - On hold until Game Maker supports this.
  • Other players appearing on screen - On hold until Game Maker supports this.
  • Inventory screen and handling - Complete
 I'll turn my focus now from entirely networking and functionality to include content and visuals, including:
  • Additional Tiles and Textures
  • Autotiling Feature
  • Health, Magic, and Money
  • Health and Hotbar HUD Display
  • Wearable Items (No more nude player!)
On a good note, before YoYoGames comes out with network capability for GM:S, they will be adding shader functions.  This means shadows and advanced lighting would be possible again.  I might be able to keep the torch item after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment