Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What Are Tiles Made Of?

I'm trying to figure out how my map is going to populate the screen, holding information about the tiles, and being able to move the camera. I feel like I'm close, but not quite wrapping my head around it yet.

Remember, small steps.

I think I have a direction in which to start testing things out. Let's see where it goes.

As for sprites, check out the title! I'm not sure how crazy I am about it (Edit: Better now, the little guy was not to scale with the bricks). Right now the pixels are blown up to about 200%. If I want to keep things crisp, it will all be smaller, requiring better artist skills, which I do not have. I'm also not too thrilled with my little guy I have made. I'm thinking the game will have to animate the legs, each arm, body, and head all separately to allow for all the combinations of clothes, item use arm movements, and general looking movement. I have an idea how to address this too. I can't really rotate things, otherwise the large pixel feel will look worse with rotated pixel objects.

Anyway, time to code, unless Ash calls me to play Payday: The Heist. Robbing banks is addicting.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what you plan do to for characters, but may I suggest that, instead of allowing for character customization, you give a few generic characters who are all built to be the same in general design so that, at most, you may only have to make 2-3 different sets of each type of armor. Maybe you would have generic male and female characters, maybe color customization, but otherwise nothing more. Then it makes your armor and weapon creation easier. I do, however, feel that you should put in the extra effort that is not in Terraria and make it so that the animations for weapons are more epic and not just have a generic animation serve for all the weapons available. I know that's a lot to ask, but epicness is an important factor to some of us :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment, I do not plan on having player customization, however tinting the skin may be added a long way down the road. Unless I feel like adding them later, I don't plan on giving players any facial features, or face at all. The body type will be generic for now with no sexual organs to speak of, which will cause the player to look male of the time being. Arm movements will react according to the item held. A spear/knife will stab. A sword will swing. A staff will be held outward. Each arm will act independently with left and right clicks, except for two handed items, for example a bow is drawn and held out, and (you'll like this one) a two handed battle ax will be used to shove of swing mightily overhead. I hope to have different kinds of attacks for clicks and held clicks.

    Epic enough? I hope it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I like the idea that, with a two-handed weapon, depending on what you click or how you click would determine how it's used. That should be consistent with all weapons. I like the idea that you could be charging an attack with one weapon (held click) while swing the other arm for smaller attacks.

    ReplyDelete