Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Vision

I really love coding and really wan't to start a new project. Well, technically I have already started, but I will act as though I haven't yet in this post. I'm going to try to create a game in XNA to practice my coding skills, and maybe result in something my friends can enjoy as well (maybe even together!).

The concept came after playing hours and hours of Terraria, a 2D game with a randomly generated world which you mine ores, build a base, discover tons of items, fight monsters, bosses, and even each other if you really wanted. The style itself really caught my attention as well. It is quite simple, and generated from square tile pieces to form a complex environment. You and your friends can even explore the same world, and if resources are scarce, you can carry things between worlds.  There's a succession of items that you acquire in order to become more powerful, instead of having to level up or gain experience.  It is a very well rounded game and can cause you to loose a lot of time deep in the enjoyment of playing it.

Example of Terraria with a Dungeon-esque look.

Stylistically, I want the same kind of pixelated type of game world. However, instead of being in a sandbox sort of game where you mine, build, and explore, I want to create a 2D side scrolling dungeon crawler. You can play solo or (hopefully) you can play with a couple of friends. Upon entering a new map, a dungeon is randomly generated. Players will not "level up", but find items of increasing strength and abilities in the depths of said dungeons to be able to play deeper, harder types of dungeons. Levels will always end with a boss stage, randomly generated based on your carried items.

There will be no building aspects to the game, only a trading mechanism at the start of each level to sell found items or restock yourself with potions, arrows, and the like before diving into the next dungeon. I would also like to incorporate a two handed system by right clicking and left clicking. Wield a sword and shield. Wield a lightning staff and throw acid with your other hand.

The basic, easiest dungeons will allow a player to proceed, able to access everywhere without the use of certain items. Harder dungeons will require the players to equip items to slow their decent's into pits (A summoned cloud, a hang glider, an umbrella) or be able to access high platforms and rooms (double jumping shoes, wolverine claws for climbing walls, wings and grappling hooks).

We'll see what happens and how far it gets. Please keep my motivation going by posting on the blag from time to time. I'll update with screen-shots and code results from time to time to show you how things are progressing. Feel free to ask questions!

Well, lunch break is over. Got to get back to work. (Most updates will probably be typed up during my lunch break!)

1 comment:

  1. Huzzah! I have seen, first hand, your beginning works and I have to say that I am quite impressed. I wish to aid you in any way possible! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete